Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pumping

Since the twins have been bored I have been pumping for the twins.  I really didn't realize that it was going to be so much work and such a time consuming task. I do not enjoy waking up in the middle of the night and that was part of why I was so thankful the twins weren't coming home with me!  :)  However, at least when you are nursing, or for me, I always was able to side nurse and sleep while the baby ate- it doesn't work so well when pumping, just ask the countless amounts of milk I have spilled because I have fallen asleep while pumping!  Which always makes me so mad!  Milk- breast milk specifically is like liquid gold. It takes so much time to pump and then to spill it- just makes me want to cry!  Since I worried about having enough milk for two babies and try to over supply so that both babies can have breast milk any amount of spilled milk makes me so upset I could cry- even in the middle the night!

Shipping the milk was a whole nother situation and quiet that task- at least this time, I know what it will take to ship it!  Last week, I went to fed ex here in town, I asked them about shipping, the guy sold me a box and I got the cooler and the dry ice.  I came home, I wrapped each days worth of milk into a brown paper lunch bag, then stuck that into a zip lock freezer bag. I stuck the bags into the cooler, and put some plastic grocery bags between the dry ice and the milk and taped up the cooler. I then packed the box taped it and addressed it.  Carted my kids off to the fed ex location in Fort Collins.  I carted the box inside and began to tell the lady what was in the box. (keep in mind its about 5pm with the box needing to be ready at 6 for pickup)  The fed ex lady tells me that she can not ship dry ice in a fed ex box and that I would need to find another box.  At that time I about have a breakdown. Don't these people know that I need to ship the liquid gold to these babies?!  and that the dry ice is only good for about 24 hours?!  So I ask the lady (who was really nice) where I can get a box, she tells me I can go to home depot and buy a box and tells me where the home depot is.   So I pack the kids back in the car- leaving my box at the fed ex location (see I told you the lady was nice).  Run to home depot, quickly get a box and get back in the car and head back to fed ex.  The lady tapes up the box for me and I unpacked the old box and repack the new box. Fill out all the forms and get everything situated just about 545.  Whewww- that was close. 

The milk arrived safely and frozen and hopefully the babies are enjoying it.   Currently my freezer is again over flowing with milk and I need to go ship it- I don't know how long what I have sent lasts the babies or how much they are eating at just a little over 2 weeks old. I do feel bad that the cost to ship that milk was so high.  J told me that it was over 200.00 to sent the milk.  Seems like a lot of money to pay every week for milk.  I would love to be able to just sent it once every few weeks.  We will see what we can work out.

2 comments:

  1. kudos to you for doing the pumping and shipping! i pumped for my surro baby for the 2 weeks he was in the United States and then continued to pump for a (relatively) local family who just adopted a newborn, born less than a month apart from my surro baby. i was SO happy to find someone who could use it, whose baby was the perfect age for the newborn milk i was producing, AND lived within driving distance. i emailed her whenever my freezer got full and she made the drive to come get it (a little over 2 hours each way). just wanted to encourage you on with the pumping - it's amazing for them, and it's good for YOU, too! i was fortunate that, after the first week of waking up from pain, i was able to establish day pumping only from the start. i still got over 64oz a day (some days more) without pumping at night and it felt amazing to continue helping someone in that way <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you are pumping - I am sure your IPs are very grateful for all your hard work! I pumped each time, but only a few weeks after, none of my IPs ever wanted milk for long, if at all so I donated it and pumped mostly for the benefits for my body. I always felt it helped those hormones regulate after delivery! :)

    ReplyDelete